[Ip-health] UACT Urges U.S. Senators to Protect Patients

Kim Treanor kim.treanor at keionline.org
Fri Sep 22 14:28:28 PDT 2017

https://cancerunion.org/2017/09/22/uact-urges-u-s-senators-to-protect-patients/

UACT Urges U.S. Senators to Protect Patients
By: UACT Staff On: September 22, 2017

Today, Manon Ress, Founder and Acting Director of the Union for Affordable
Cancer Treatment, delivered a letter to 17 Republican Senators, urging them
to vote no on the Graham-Cassidy “health care” bill.

UACT visited Senate leadership, including Majority Leader Sen. Mitch
McConnell (R-KY) and Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-TX), as well as the
original authors of the bill, Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and Lindsey Graham
(R-SC). Additional letters were delivered to the GOP members of the Senate
Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, and to key Senators who
could stop this bill.

The full copy of UACT’s letter can be found copied below and is available
as a pdf here.

The Graham-Cassidy health care bill is not a plan for providing healthcare
to millions of Americans, but rather would deny affordable coverage to
individuals when they need it most. While the Republican leadership pushes
for a vote before the Congressional Budget Office has even assessed the
impact on Americans, independent analyses have found that the bill would be
disastrous for cancer patients.

The Center for American Progress estimated a premium surcharge of $142,650
for individuals with metastatic cancer if the legislation were to be
enacted. The same analysis found an estimated increase in premium of
$72,980 for lung and brain cancers and $28,660 for colorectal, kidney, and
breast cancers in individuals younger than 50.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) have announced publicly
that they will not support this plan. Under Senate budget reconciliation
rules, the Republicans can pass this legislation through September 30th
with a simple 51 vote majority. If any one more Republican makes the moral
and responsible choice in voting no on this legislation, the bill will fail.