[Ip-health] We Rise and Fall Together: Wed Sept 27 @ Public Citizen

Peter Maybarduk pmaybarduk at citizen.org
Mon Sep 25 08:05:30 PDT 2017

Today the U.S. Trade Representative is calling for comments in a special review of Colombia’s patent practices: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/09/25/2017-20354/2017-special-301-out-of-cycle-review-of-colombia-request-for-public-comment
motivated in part by a high-profile dispute last year where representatives of the U.S. government warned Colombia of political consequences if the country moved forward with plans to make a patented cancer medicine more affordable.

Join us Wednesday as we discuss the Trump administration’s plans to make poor countries pay more, rather than challenge the prescription drug corporations to make medicine affordable for everyone. Details below; RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/we-rise-and-fall-together-affordable-medicines-at-home-and-abroad-tickets-38125394080

From: Peter Maybarduk
Subject: We Rise and Fall Together: Wed Sept 27 @ Public Citizen (Washington, DC)

Colleagues,
On Wednesday, September 27 from 3:30 PM we will host a discussion at Public Citizen titled,
“We Rise and Fall Together: Trump’s Leaked Executive Order and Affordable Medicines at Home and Abroad.”

A recently-leaked Trump Executive Order blames high U.S. medicine prices on other countries, including the world’s poor: https://www.citizen.org/trump-drug-prices-order

Washington pressure on developing countries to raise prices could lead to the deaths of many, while missing an historic opportunity to make medicines affordable for everyone.

How have some countries successfully resisted this pressure, working with allies south and north to protect health and the public interest?
How can we refocus Washington’s attention on the monopoly power of prescription drug corporations?

Join Public Citizen and guests Dr. Francisco Rossi, Director of IFARMA Fundacion in Colombia, and Alejandra Alayza, Advocacy and Campaigns Manager for Oxfam in Peru, for a panel and community conversation.

3:30pm Welcome, refreshments and conversation
4:00pm Panel
4:30pm Discussion
5:00pm Refreshments and conversation