[Ip-health] Oil States Update

James Love james.love at keionline.org
Tue Apr 24 08:43:30 PDT 2018

The good news is that the Inter Parte Review is constitutional, which is
important because the USPTO makes so many mistakes when it grants patents,
and the IPR is faster and cheaper than litigation, and decisions don't have
to go to a lay jury (often in Texas), where the decisions can seem random.

The Majority was by Thomas.  The Gorsuch/Roberts dissent was written by
Gorsuch, and was 12 pages, and suggests that Gorsuch likes patents and
doesn't appreciate the high error rates by the USPTO.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Priti Krishtel <priti at i-mak.org> wrote:

> *OIL STATES* HAS BEEN DECIDED IN THE UNITED STATES
> 7-2 Affirms Federal Circuit (upholds Inter Partes Review)
> Gorsuch writes dissent.
>
> Here's the opinion: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/
> 17pdf/16-712_87ad.pdf.
>
> Held: 1. Inter partes review does not violate Article III.
>
> Opinion by THOMAS with KENNEDY, GINSBURG, BREYER, ALITO, SOTOMAYOR, and
> KAGAN .
> Concurrence by Breyer, Ginsburg and Sotomayor
> Dissent by Gorsuch and Roberts.
>

> --
> *Priti Radha Krishtel*
> Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director
> Initiative for Medicines, Access & Knowledge (I-MAK)
> Website: www.i-mak.org
> Email: priti at i-mak.org <martine at i-mak.org>
> Skype: pritiwho
> Tel: +1 9177032876