[Ip-health] URGENT: Hep C Cure Turns 5, Patients Still Left Behind

Bryn Gay bryn.gay at treatmentactiongroup.org
Wed Dec 5 14:56:36 PST 2018

*Apologies for cross-posting*

In recognition of sofosbuvir’s fifth birthday on *Thursday, 6 December *and
the enormous treatment barriers that still remain for the majority of
people living with hepatitis C, we are sending birthday cards to Gilead and
its shareholders! Members of the global hepCoalition prepared a fact sheet
and infographics for a social media campaign.

*We invite you and your organizations to share the attached fact sheet,
birthday cards, and infographics (in English, French, and Spanish) among
your networks on Thursday, 6 December.* Please link to the hepCoalition
article, which goes live on Thursday: *https://bit.ly/2KWz6WI
<https://bit.ly/2KWz6WI>*

We also attach a press release in English.

Sofosbuvir’s fifth birthday campaign is quite timely, with MSF, MdM and
other EU civil society organizations filing an appeal on the European
Patent Office’s patent decision
<https://msfaccess.org/health-groups-appeal-european-patent-office-decision-uphold-gileads-patent-hepatitis-c-drug>;
Malaysian activists’ support for the government use license; and the Lancet
Gastro & Hepatol editorial
<https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langas/article/PIIS2468-1253(18)30354-6/fulltext>critiquing
the ongoing drug pricing barriers, even for Gilead’s own generic
direct-acting antivirals.

*Enclosures - **EMBARGOED UNTIL 6 DECEMBER, 2018*
-       Press release (English)
-       Fact sheet (English)
-       Social media toolbox with sample messages/hashtags, which you can
translate into your languages
-       Choice of birthday cards to Gilead’s shareholders and infographics
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/161Oo_1lHO8phZqwJjIKr2INMaosbx1Fl?usp=sharing>
(English,
French + Spanish; jpg + png).

In solidarity,