[Ip-health] Report on Dutch government fulfillment of commitments on transparency and access to medicines.

Jaume Vidal Jaume at haiweb.org
Thu Dec 6 01:21:51 PST 2018

Dear all
I Hope this message finds you well.
We are happy to share some new material from the  "Our medicines, our right" campaign: a report, New and Affordable Medicines in the Netherlands: Tracing the Dutch Government's Policy Commitments and Actions ( http://haiweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NL-Government-Commitments-on-New-Affordable-Medicines.pdf ), on the fulfillment (or not) of the Dutch government commitments to increase transparency and improve access conditions to medicines; the areas of focus are : intellectual property rights, alternative innovation models, competition policy and pricing decisions.
Main findings
While there has been much positive talk from Ministers and others, this has not led to the kind of policy change that can and will have an impact on rising medicine prices. Dutch government remains however a leader within the EU and a reference at the global level in promoting a more health needs- driven R&D agenda and advocating the use of TRIPS flexibilities in, for instance, trade agreements.
Recommendations to Dutch authorities

  *   Stay at the forefront of the EU and global debate on IP and access to medicines.
  *   Support new models of biomedical innovation (based on delinkage)
  *   Decisively tackle anti-competitive behavior in pharmaceutical markets
  *   Enable greater transparency of R&D costs and pricing decisions.

Feel  free to disseminate and distribute.

Best regards,

Jaume

JAUME VIDAL

Policy Advisor, EU Projects

Health Action International
Working days Monday to Thursday<%20%20>

T: +31 (0) 20 412 4523 | M: +31 6 2831 8884 | jaume at haiweb.org<mailto:jaume at haiweb.org>

Overtoom 60 (2) | 1054 HK Amsterdam | The Netherlands

www.haiweb.org<http://www.haiweb.org/>