[Ip-health] New paper on Japan's role in the global IP regime online

Belinda Townsend belinda.townsend at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 6 20:07:50 PST 2018

Hi all,

This paper on Japan's emerging role in the global IP regime has just been published online with the Journal of World Intellectual Property.

Townsend, B., Gleeson, D & Lopert, R. (2018). Japan's emerging role in the global pharmaceutical intellectual property regime: a tale of two trade agreements. Journal of World Intellectual Property, 7th February 2018.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jwip.12099/full

The submitted version will be available on SSRN soon for access for those who don't have a Wiley subscription.

The paper explores Japan's role in reshaping the global pharmaceutical intellectual property regime by examining its position on the expansion of intellectual property rights (IPR) in negotiations for two regional trade agreements: the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP). Through systematic analysis of leaked negotiating texts documenting its positions on key issues, we demonstrate Japan is now playing a pivotal role in promoting the adoption of expanded IPRs. We show that its position as IPR champion in the Asia Pacific region reflects a domestic strategy initiated in 2013 to bolster pharmaceutical export growth. Drawing on past experience and focusing on the RCEP negotiations, we explore ways in which low and middle income countries might respond to this shift in order to protect and promote access to medicines.

Bel

Belinda Townsend PhD
Research Fellow, NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence in the Social Determinants of Health Equity
School of Regulation and Global Governance (RegNet)
ANU College of Asia & the Pacific
Coombs Extension Building 8, Fellows Rd
The Australian National University
Acton ACT 2601