[Ip-health] EB142: Oxfam statement on WHO’s decision on the Global strategy and plan of action on public health, innovation and intellectual property

Mohga Kamal-Yanni mkamalyanni at Oxfam.org.uk
Tue Jan 30 10:14:01 PST 2018

Thank you

Oxfam welcomes and supports the report and its recommendations. Oxfam has
been working on access to medicines for decades. Like you, we recognise
the faces of women, men and children who suffer the consequences of lack
of access in all countries, rich and poor.

Tobeka was a breast cancer patient and a mother. At the HIV conference in
2016, she said: I just want to live to take care of my 2 boys. However
neither herself nor her insurance were able to afford the high price of
the treatment that could have saved her life. In 2017 Tobeka passed away
.This is the harsh reality of high prices of medicines.

This is why -like many govts and CS, we support the recommendations of the
Global Strategy and Plan of Action.

The world will not achieve UHC without serious political will to address
access to medicines and the policy incoherence between trade and public
health. As the Doha declaration emphasised public health has supremacy
over commercial interest so that countries like Colombia do not face
pressure when they decide to use TRIPS flexibilities for public health.

Many delegates spoke of the importance of the WHO leading role in global
health including access to medicines. The implementation of the
recommendations of the GSPOA is key to fulfilling this role. This require
a strong and independent WHO secretariat. We strongly support the DG call
for flexible and non-ear marked funding.

Finally we urge you as the people who have the responsibility to protect
and promote global public health in rich and poor countries, to support
WHO to implement the recommendations of the overall program review of the
Global Strategy and Plan of Action without delay. We also urge you to
seriously consider the recommendations of the HLP so that no child loses
her or his mother -like Tobkea’s kids- because of the unjustifiably high
price of medicines.

Best wishes   مع أطيب التمنيات
____________________________
Mohga -Dictating to the computer so please forgive silly mistakes
Dr. Mohga Kamal-Yanni
Senior health & HIV policy advisor, Oxfam GB
Editor of www.globalhealthcheck.org
John Smith Drive, Oxford, OX4 2JY, UK (GMT, CET-1, EDT+5, EST+6)
UK Mobile   + 44 (0)777 62 55 884
Follow me @MohgaKamalYanni

Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering.

Oxfam GB is a member of Oxfam International and a company limited by guarantee registered in England No. 612172.
Registered office: Oxfam House, John Smith Drive, Cowley, Oxford, OX4 2JY.
A registered charity in England and Wales (no 202918) and Scotland (SC 039042)