[Ip-health] MFJ International Submission on the President's Blueprint

Ma Gagnon MarcAndreGagnon at cunet.carleton.ca
Thu Jul 19 08:13:58 PDT 2018

Hi Everyone,
I am a bit overworked right now so I will not write any submission about this stupid blueprint.
On the issue of foreign countries free-riding on US high prices, I think somebody should make the argument that the same logic applies internally to the US.
- US Uninsured patients needs to pay drugs at full price
- Medicare patients benefits of rebates of only 18% on average.
- Medicaid benefits of rebates of 52% on average.
-Veterans Health Administration benefits of rebates of 55% on average
- Department of Defense benefits of rebates of more than 50% as well.
- Private plans also benefits from large confidential rebates as well.

Based on this, one can say that not only foreign countries are free-riding on US high prices, but in fact the Department of Defense, Veterans, as well as unionized workers with drug benefits are free riding on Seniors and uninsured Americans. Under these circumstances, to be consistent the blueprint should also demand that Defense, Veterans, Medicaid and private plans give away the rebates they manage to collect so drug companies will start reducing prices for Seniors and uninsured Americans through their good hearts.

I just needed to let some steam off...
All the best,
Marc-André

Marc-André Gagnon, PhD
School of Public Policy and Administration
Carleton University (RB-5224)
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6, Canada