[Ip-health] Wells Fargo Analyst: Pharma Living in Patent-Protected, High-Margin Bubble

Fran Quigley fwquigley at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:07:20 PDT 2018

For what it's worth, this backhanded recognition of the impact and potential
of pricing advocacy was widely noted here in a pharma town (Indianapolis-Eli
Lilly). Lilly's CEO even asked to address it during Q and A at local
Economic Club:

Wall Street analyst to pharma: 'You do not see the trouble brewing'

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2018/05/03/analyst-pharma-drug-prices-tru
mp/ (Paywall)

"We believe the U.S. is on a longer-term arc toward price controls and lower
margins, as there is an uprising that has been percolating for years against
high drug prices. While the causes are many and the problem much more
complicated and nuanced than many others would lead readers to believe,
there is a rebellion at hand," Maris wrote.

SNIP

"We get the impression that many in the industry and many investors do not
see the trouble brewing. We worry that some may be living in a bubble, a
cozy patent-protected, high-margin bubble . . "

Fran Quigley

PFAM: People of Faith for Access to Medicines, www.pfamrx.org
<http://www.pfamrx.org/> , (317) 750-4891

Also: Clinical Professor, Health
<http://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/faculty-staff/profile.cfm?Id=440> & Human Rights
Clinic, Indiana University McKinney School of Law