[Ip-health] Trump's high drug pricing speech: transcript of trade relevant section

Jennifer Reid Jennifer.Reid at newyork.msf.org
Fri May 11 12:42:23 PDT 2018

Unofficial transcript of Trump's 'other countries freeloading' portion of the high drug pricing speech today:

Starts at about 30:30 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqK_F0emLU

"...Finally as we demand fairness for American patients at home, we will also demand fairness overseas. When foreign governments extort unreasonably low prices from US drug makers, Americans have to pay more to subsidize the enormous cost of research and development. In some cases medicine that costs a few dollars in a foreign country costs hundreds of dollars in America for the same pill, with the same ingredients, in the same package, made in the same plant and that is unacceptable. You can look at some of the countries, their medicine is a tiny fraction what the medicine costs in the USA, it's unfair, and it's ridiculous and it's not going to happen any longer.

It's time to end the global free loading once and for all. I have directed US trade representative Bob Lighthizer to make fixing this injustice a top priority with every trading partner. And we have great power over the trading partners, you're seeing that already. America will not be cheated any longer. And especially will not be cheated by foreign countries. The American people deserve a health care system that takes care of them. Not one that taxes and takes advantage of our patients and our consumers and our citizens.

These reforms are just the beginning. In the coming weeks we will work with Congress to pass legislation that will save Americans even more money at the pharmacy. For that we need the help of Congress and we think it will be forthcoming...(continues)"

Jennifer Reid
Policy Analyst, MSF Access Campaign
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
40 Rector Street, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10006