[Ip-health] Trump's high drug pricing speech: transcript of trade relevant section

Justin Mendoza jmendoza at citizen.org
Fri May 11 12:51:35 PDT 2018

Further, in the Trump blueprint document (released after the speech), they point the finger even more clearly:

"Growth in International Price Controls

The global financial crisis in 2008 spurred austerity measures in most European countries, including
more aggressive use of existing drug price controls. Between 2010 and 2011, 23 countries implemented
89 distinct measures to contain government spending on prescription drugs. Most used their single-payer
healthcare systems to impose drug price controls alongside increased copayments, value-added
tax rates on prescription drugs, and other measures.

In 2013, the World Health Organization published a paper describing the growing use of external
reference pricing, or the practice of using the price of a medicine in one or several countries to derive
a benchmark or reference price for the purposes of setting or negotiating the price of the product in a given
country. Every time one country demands a lower price, it leads to a lower reference price used by other
countries. Such price controls, combined with the threat of market lockout or intellectual property infringement,
prevents drug companies from charging market rates for their products, while delaying the
availability of new cures to patients living in countries implementing these policies."

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/AmericanPatientsFirst.pdf

Justin Mendoza, MPH
Access to Medicines Organizer | Public Citizen
E: jmendoza at citizen.org | P: 202-588-7774