[Ip-health] Why rewards are no better than patents

profmickeydavis profmickeydavis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:18:34 PST 2018

Why rewards are no better than patents and why both stifle creativity."Rewards have also been associated with lowering creativity. In one classic series of studies, people were given a set of materials (a box of thumbtacks, a candle and book of matches) and asked to figure out how to attach the candle to the wall. The solution requires innovative thinking — seeing the materials in a way unrelated to their purpose (the box as a candle holder). People who were told they’d be rewarded to solve this dilemma took longer, on average, to figure it out. Rewards narrow our field of view. Our brains stop puzzling freely. We stop thinking deeply and seeing the possibilities."Which Is Better, Rewards or Punishments? Neither https://nyti.ms/2PqJkRi