[Ip-health] New Oxfam report: Prescription for Poverty

Tabitha Ha Tabitha.Ha at oxfam.org
Tue Sep 18 05:35:47 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Today Oxfam is launching a new report on pharmaceutical companies as well as a campaign that specifically asks Johnson & Johnson to pay their fair share of taxes, to stop working to rig government rules in ways that undermine the fight against poverty and to make their medicines affordable to the people who need them. You can find the executive summary, the full report and petition here<https://oxf.am/no-more-tax-dodging>.

We would appreciate your support in promoting the findings and the petition - attached is a social media toolkit with graphics and draft posts (please contact me directly if you would like but did not receive the attachment through the listserve). You can also retweet us here<https://twitter.com/Oxfam?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor> or share our new video on Facebook here<https://www.facebook.com/Oxfam/>!

No one should watch their children suffer without healthcare or be forced to choose between buying food or the medicines they need to stay alive. But big drug companies - like Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Merck and Abbott- are making billions in profits while cheating women with sky-high drug prices and millions of dollars in dodged taxes.

Oxfam has scoured the corporate balance sheets of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Merck and Abbott in 20 countries and uncovered alarming new evidence that these corporations appear to be using offshore tax havens to dodge billions of dollars in tax. Companies hide even the most basic financial information - like where they make their money, how much profit they have, and how many people they employ in the countries where they do business- making it impossible to measure the true extent of their tax avoidance. Despite this secrecy, we do know that the four CEO's were paid more than $94 million dollars in 2017 alone.

These companies must come clean on their tax dodging and stop rigging tax laws so that countries are not artificially deprived of funds to support basic services. Poor countries are likely losing out on millions that should be used to pay for clinics and schools, nurses, doctors and medicines.

Instead of paying their fair share, drug companies have been stashing billions of dollars in profits offshore and charging sky-high prices for medicines that families can hardly afford. It is women living in poverty who pay the biggest price, losing out on education and healthcare, robbing them of opportunity to improve their lives and lift themselves and their children out of poverty. In many countries, thousands of women continue to die every year as a result of inadequate maternal health care. Women have to step in and use their time and energy to take care of loved ones when the health system fails them, which increases their work burden and reduces the time they have available to find paid work and look after their own wellbeing.

We are all customers of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Merck and Abbott. From medicines to consumer products like Tylenol and Baby Shampoo, they need us to buy their products. If we speak out, they will have to listen. Our research reveals how the biggest drug companies are failing to act responsibly and we should demand concrete changes in how they do business. We will fight to ensure these companies stop cheating women and girls out of billions. Join us and demand that drug companies pay their fair share and make medicines affordable.

Best wishes,
Tabitha

Tabitha Ha  | Advocacy and Campaigns Officer - Access to medicines | Even It Up campaign
Oxfam International | based in London, UK (UTC +1)
Email: tabitha.ha at oxfam.org<mailto:tabitha.ha at oxfam.org> | Skype: Tabitha.ha | Twitter: @tabithaha