[Ip-health] My blog on the WIPO / IFPMA medicines patent database

Oscar Andres Lizarazo Cortes oalizarazoc at unal.edu.co
Thu Sep 27 08:59:40 PDT 2018

I agree,

Is a positive step.  But sectors like academia, or NGOs cannot
register ( unless
they have been invited). *Although the searches can be done without
registration *

*The registration is only open for:* "From a participating pharmaceutical
company", "From a procurement agency", "An approved WIPO guest, to test
Pat-Informed", "Other". http://www.wipo.int/patinformed/new/account

*Possibly, the results are the same (with registration & without
registration),* but the "banner" occupies space of the screen and does not
let you read well

Certainly, TERMS OF USE / DISCLAIMERS, describe extensively the limitations
of the database
http://www.wipo.int/patinformed/download/pat_informed_terms_of_use.pdf

For example: *"Exclusions: (...)  a. Pending patent applications that have
not yet granted (...)*

Some *preliminary findings*:

In some cases, Pat-Informed has less information than other sources such
as: WHO patentlandscapes, MPP MedsPal, lists annexed to voluntary licenses,

patent opposition database by MSF, (PatentScope,  Espacenet, Lens) own
searches etc

For example, in the case of Sofosbuvir, Pat-Informed indicates that
(titles):
-In Colombia there are 2 patents.     The reality is 7 or 8 patents
granted  approximately
-In Chile there is 1 patent.                  The reality is 6 patents
granted  approximately

*(Unofficial list of patents granted for main Hepatitis C antivirals in
Colombia (April 2018) made by me, page 2**:
https://www.minsalud.gov.co/sites/rid/Lists/BibliotecaDigital/RIDE/VS/MET/oscar-lizarazo-procedimiento-hepatitis-c-2018.pdf
<https://www.minsalud.gov.co/sites/rid/Lists/BibliotecaDigital/RIDE/VS/MET/oscar-lizarazo-procedimiento-hepatitis-c-2018.pdf>)*

In both cases just  the title of the patent is indicated. There are no
other identifiers, such as PCT application number, priority number, #
local, etc.

*Possibly this case is not representative, and the information of other
drugs/INN is more complete /accurate *

In other medicines more identifying numbers and data are available.

In any case,  thanks to WIPO, IFPMA and participants.  It is good to have
more  information sources. I hope the base improves, as MedsPal and other
databases has done.

On Twitter others have commented on possible improvements to the database

Thanks. Kind regards,

Oscar Lizarazo,

Profesor Asociado
Universidad Nacional de Colombia