[Ip-health] German Holguin, a colombian leader for access to medicines passed away

Francisco Rossi francisco_rossi at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 12:42:24 PST 2019

Dear friends;

It is very sad to inform you that last friday, Germán Holguin, one of our long term partners on access to medicines
passed away.  We, in Colombia, will remember him as one of the opponents of the Free Trade agreements' IP chapters, supporting a large ammount of impact studies (most in spanish) conducted in association with IFARMA. His intervention with Roberto Lopez at the US Congress, allowed our country (and Peru) to have one of the less agressive treaties on IP in the continent. He also was our regional leader in presenting the case of access to medicines at the interamerican court of human rights. Misión Salud was one of the organizations that presented compulsory licenses request for kaletra, for imatinib and now for DAAs for hepatitis C. In october the CL request for hepatitis C (DAAs) was 4 years old, and he died  waiting for a final decission...

We all miss him.

Claudia Vargas
Francisco Rossi
IFARMA