[Ip-health] Please register for side event / webinar - How to fix our medical R&D model: A spotlight on TB treatment.

James Cole James at stopaids.org.uk
Tue Jul 9 15:50:21 PDT 2019

*Apologises for cross posting *

Hi everyone,

I would like to invite you and your networks to attend a side event that STOPAIDS are organising for this month's IAS2019 Conference along with the UNITAID NGO Delegation, TAG, TAC and GNP+.

In this panel discussion and Q&A, expert speakers will share their opinions on how to foster a more effective TB response and why alternative models, including delinkage, need to be supported.

Please find information copied below. If you won't be at the IAS, you can join the meeting remotely through Zoom after you register through Eventrbite<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/how-to-fix-our-medical-rd-model-a-spotlight-on-tb-treatment-tickets-64796346617>.

Hopefully see some of you there! Would appreciate if you can share this email with anyone you know who will be attending the IAS.

Thanks,
James

----

How to fix our medical R&D model: A spotlight on TB treatment.

Our current model for developing new medicines is expensive, inefficient and unsustainable. There is an urgent need to develop medicines to address persistent treatment gaps, create more effective preventative therapies and ensure universal health coverage.

Lifesaving treatment for infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, or new antiretrovirals to treat HIV remain prohibitively expensive. For example, Deltyba, one of the first two new anti-tuberculosis (TB) compounds to have become available in over four decades costs US$1700 per six-month treatment.

Our present system of developing new medicines too often fails to provide the most urgently needed health technologies, despite a large proportion of health R&D coming from public sources.

In this panel discussion and Q&A, expert speakers will share their opinions on how to foster a more effective TB response and why alternative models that are driven by public health interests need to be supported.

The event is open to the public. It is hosted by STOPAIDS and sponsored by the UNITAID NGO Delegation, Treatment Action Group, Treatment Action Campaign and GNP+.

Please RSVP via this link<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/how-to-fix-our-medical-rd-model-a-spotlight-on-tb-treatment-tickets-64796346617> and contact James (james at stopaids.org.uk<mailto:james at stopaids.org.uk>) if you have any questions.

When: 11.00 - 12.30, Tuesday 23rd July.

Where: The Saloon, Granja Las Americas, Blvd. Pípila s/n, Acceso nº 3, Lomas de Sotelo, 11200 Ciudad de México. (10 minute walk from the conference centre)

Please register here via this link: https://bit.ly/2FSDK6Q

The event will be broadcast live and recorded via Zoom and Facebook (link provided after registration)

Chair:

  *   Fifa Rahman, UNITAID NGOs Board Member and PhD Candidate, University of Leeds

Speakers include:

  *   Sibongile Tshabalala, National Chairperson, Treatment Action Campaign

  *   Jeremiah Johnson, HIV Project Director, Treatment Action Group

  *   Dr Paula Fujiwara, Scientific Director, The Union

  *   Sharonann Lynch, HIV & TB advisor, Médecins Sans Frontières’ (MSF) Access Campaign

  *   Dr François Bompart, Director of HIV & Hepatitis C Initiative, Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative

  *   Dr Luis Alfredo Ponce de León Garduño, National Institute Salvador Zubirán