[Ip-health] Tuesday in DC: TACD public forum on competition & meds access

Peter Maybarduk pmaybarduk at citizen.org
Mon Jun 3 06:44:28 PDT 2019

The Trans-Atlantic Consumer Dialogue (https://tacd.org/) invites you to a panel on Competition and Access to Medicines tomorrow Tuesday, June 4th at 2pm at the Pew Charitable Trusts, 901 E St NW Washington, DC. TACD is a forum for dozens of consumer organizations in the U.S. and EU to develop and promote joint consumer policy recommendations. Tuesday's events are open to the public -- drop me a line so we can register you.

The 2pm session on recent experiences and policy options to make medicine affordable will feature:
- Els Bruggeman of Euroconsumers,
- Afton Cissell, Staff to Congressman Lloyd Doggett
- James Love, Knowledge Ecology International
- John Rother, National Coalition on Health Care

I will be moderating. Hope to see you there! -Peter

2pm Competition and access to medicines (Americas room - 2nd floor)
High prices of new and old medicines, from Epipens to combat severe allergic reactions to insulin for diabetes, can affect individuals' life and health as well as put extra burdens on both private insurance and strained national health systems. Competition policy can prevent market abuses and help balance the possible negative effects of intellectual property protections. This session will discuss the role of competition law and enforcement in ensuring affordability of medicines and stimulating innovation, from the EU and U.S. perspectives.