[Ip-health] Launch : "Observatoire de la transparence dans les politiques du médicaments"

Pauline Londeix pauline.londeix at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 00:25:15 PDT 2019

[Apologizes for cross-posting]

Dear colleagues and friends,

I am thrilled to share with you the announcement of the launch of the
"Observatoire de la transparence dans les politiques du médicaments"
(https://twitter.com/OTMeds), an organization based in France to
monitor the implementation of the WHO transparency resolution in
France. The resolution that was adopted by the World Health Assembly
in May 2019, calls on countries to implement transparency on medicines
prices. The French government also showed its support to this initial
text proposed for the resolution going further than prices, and we now
want full transparency to be implemented in France.

Transparency is critical for countries like France to face the
unstoppable increases in medicines prices and to sustain their health
systems.

Besides monitoring the advancement on the implementation of the
transparency resolution in pricing, clinical trials, research and
development, marketing and patenting, the Observatory will also
monitor the position of France within the international institutions
(WIPO, WTO, WHO, etc), as well as at the European level, in particular
as part of the European Commission (EC) negotiating Free Trade
agreements such as MERCOSUR, Tunisia and Morocco. These agreements
currently in negotiation include, on the request of the EC, provisions
such as data exclusivity and trade secrets, that go in the opposite
direction to transparency.

While high medicines' prices jeopardize the sustainability of our
public health systems and also delay access to many new medicines,
they also put many life-saving medicines out of reach of millions in
low and middle income countries. Medicines are developed thanks to a
large contributions from taxpayers. It is unjust that the benefits are
only private. We believe that it is time for public interests to
prevail on corporations' interests and to change the narrative. These
are our drugs !

The observatory will work hand in hand with local and international
NGO partners.

Best regards,

Pauline Londeix
Co-founder