[Ip-health] Please send a tweed to Germany’s minister Jens Spahn - to become a transparency hero

Wiesner Aidskampagne wiessner at aids-kampagne.de
Wed May 22 06:54:27 PDT 2019

Dear all,
Greetings from the WHA!
I ask you for a favour to support us with a brief campaign targeting our (Germanys) Minister of Health who blocks a important initiative currently discussed at the WHA - detrimental the Germany’s perception as a global health champion

More information below
In case you’ve seen this already,
Please disregard - if you haven’t please forward it!
Thanks, Peter
Peter Wiessner
Action against AIDS Germany
*****
I need urgently your support!
It takes 30 seconds if you have a twitter account!

We are very shocked and extremely concerned about the positions taken by Germanys governments position in negotiations for a resolution on transparency in research costs and drug prices at the current World Health Assembly (WHA) in Geneva.

The German government is vehemently blocking measures that can help to ensure that people worldwide have affordable access to medicines. High drug prices are no longer only a cause in poorer countries that people do not receive urgently needed therapies. Even in rich Europe, healthcare systems are reaching their limits because they can no longer pay horrendous prices. At the same time, drug prices often have nothing to do with actual research costs, but are set according to how revenues can be maximised in the relevant markets. This was recently confirmed by a World Health Organisation report on cancer drugs. High demand, a lack of information and suppliers without competition make this possible. For example, poorer countries pay higher prices than richer ones. There is an urgent need for action here.

Its impossible to negotiate a fair price blindly. Reliable information about the actual costs of developing a drug, how much the public sector has paid for it and what the prices are for the same drug in other income-like countries - this is the only way to negotiate prices at eye level.

The Federal Government and especially your House have declared Global Health to be the trademark of German international politics. We urgently appeal to you to fill this in with the principle of global solidarity. Make sure that the German government does everything it can to ensure that vaccines and medicines are affordable for all people worldwide. The negotiating position of the German delegation to the WHA urgently needs to be revised.

Wat you can do:

Please send this tweed today:

The German position on #TransparencyResolution #WHA72 is a total shame @jensspahn. Withdraw now and step up for affordable medicines for people worldwide! @MSF_access @aidskampagne @KEIEurope Universities Allied for Essential Medicines Germany - UAEM

If you want to know more, here a link to an article in the Economist: https://www.economist.com/business/2019/05/21/the-global-battle-over-high-drug-prices

The great poster below is from Pauline Londeix (thanks Pauline!)

This message is send by iPhone. Please excuse possible typos. My fingers are simply too big for this business and my secretary is on vacation.