[Ip-health] Who is responsible for damages resulting from the governmental price cut by generic entry?

Heesob Nam hurips at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 02:04:08 PDT 2019

The validity of Zyprexa (Olanzapine) patent was disputed in many
jurisdictions. In Canada, it was invalidated by the Supreme Court
applying the promise utility doctrine, invoking a NAFTA ISDS dispute.

In Germany and Australia, the first instance courts found the patent
invalid, both were reversed by upper courts. See,
https://dcc.com/patents/whats-in-a-name-eli-lillys-olanzapine-patent-deemed-valid-on-all-grounds
and http://www.chinaipmagazine.com/en/journal-show.asp?id=659

Interestingly, the China IP Magazine reports that when the German 1st
court rendered the invalidation decision, several generics entered the
market. Lilly tried to stop this but failed in the first place, which
was again reversed by the Higher Court. Then, I guess that Lilly might
seek a damage compensation against the generic companies. But I can't
see any report still.

http://www.chinaipmagazine.com/en/journal-show.asp?id=659

IV. Infringement Proceedings
As a consequence of the revocation of the Olanzapine patent in the
first instance, a considerable number of generic manufacturers
immediately launched generic medicaments containing olanzapine in
Germany. Lilly reacted aggressively and requested provisional
injunctions against the generics offering and selling olanzapine.
While all of these requests for provisional injunctions were rejected
by the first-instance courts (Regional Courts of Düsseldorf and
Hamburg), Lilly had spectacular success before the Higher Regional
Court of Düsseldorf. This Court allowed Lilly’s appeal and issued
preliminary injunctions against some of the generic manufacturers,
arguing that it was not bound by the Federal Patent Court’s decision
which it designated as “evidently wrong”.

Best,
Heesob

hurips at gmail.com, heesobnam at commons.foundation