[Ip-health] Statement by Health Action International at WHO EURO RC 69

Jaume Vidal Jaume at haiweb.org
Thu Sep 19 01:03:09 PDT 2019

Dear IP Health participants,
Find below the statement we delivered at the 69th Regional Committee of WHO-EURO being held in Copenhagen between September 16 and 19.
Thanks
Jaume

EUR/RC69/6
Oral Contribution
Provisional agenda item 3

Chair,
Health Action International (HAI) welcomes the opportunity to address this meeting.

We acknowledge discussion of the working document Matters arising from resolutions and decisions of the World Health Assembly and the Executive Board (EUR/RC69/6 ), noting with special interest Resolution WHA72.8, Improving the transparency of markets for medicines, vaccines and other health products. We welcome the suggested implementation path and, while recognizing that any price negotiation process is essentially a Member State competence, believe that the World Health Organization (WHO), through its European office, has been mandated to engage with Member States to do more to improve access to medicines by increasing transparency of pharmaceutical markets and countering information asymmetries.

We believe WHO could, for example, provide assistance to national authorities in the legal and administrative process of making WHA72.8 operational at a national level. This should go hand-in-hand with other initiatives, such as the Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property, and its recommendation to shed light, in an independent, accessible and reliable manner, on the patent status of health products.

Last but not least, we encourage Member States to give due consideration to the report of the 2nd edition of the Fair Pricing Forum and to support the efforts of its Working Groups regarding delinkage and transparency of the costs of research and development, among other critical elements of discussion.

JAUME VIDAL

Senior Policy Advisor, European Projects

Health Action International