[Ip-health] Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK

Susan Isiko Strba susan.isiko.strba at bluewin.ch
Wed Dec 2 00:59:08 PST 2020

UK first country to approve a vaccine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the
Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for widespread use.

British regulator, the MHRA, says the jab, which offers up to 95%
protection against Covid-19 illness, is safe for rollout next week.

Immunisations could start within days for those who need it the most,
such as elderly people in care homes.

The UK has already ordered 40m doses - enough to vaccinate 20m people.

Around 10m doses should be available soon, with the first 800,000
arriving in the UK in the coming days.

It is the fastest ever vaccine to go from concept to reality, taking
only 10 months to follow the same developmental steps that normally span
a decade.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted "It's the protection of vaccines
that will ultimately allow us to reclaim our lives and get the economy
moving again."

Health Secretary Matt Hancock told BBC Breakfast that people will be
contacted by the NHS when it is their turn for the jab.

He said: "I'm confident now with the news today that from spring, from
Easter onwards, things are going to be better and we're going to have a
summer next year that everybody can enjoy."

--
Senior Research and Policy Advisor
International Lawyers and Economists for Development