[Ip-health] Statement from HAI to EB146 on NSA and WHO governing bodies

Jaume Vidal jaume at haiweb.org
Sat Feb 8 02:20:53 PST 2020

Statement from Health Action International (HAI) to the  146th Session of the WHO Executive Board on
Agenda Item 22.1 Involvement of non-State actors in WHO's governing bodies delivered by Ms. Maria Claudia Picasso.

Thank you Chair,

Stichting Health Action International welcomes the opportunity to contribute to this discussion which is of such great importance for civil society and global health governance.

While we acknowledge that some aspects of non-State actor (NSA) engagement require reform, we are concerned that the proposals contained in the document being discussed are not aimed at the right targets and risk alienating relevant stakeholders.

We, together with several other Civil Society Organisations, are deeply concerned about the possible impact some of the measures might have on the participation and contribution of non-governmental organisations in governing body meetings, not least this one.

Specifically, we reject the distribution of non-State actors into constituencies according to their nature, making a de facto equivalence between corporate actors and public interest organisations.

Furthermore, limitations on the number of statements per meeting and per constituency would unfairly benefit those actors, such as foundations or trade associations, who are far fewer in number than non-governmental organisations.
Finally, we remain committed to finding a workable solution satisfactory to all legitimate parties and will always contribute to making WHO an even more inclusive deliberating body. We call on members of this Executive Board to postpone action on EB146/33 until an appropriate consultation involving both non-State actors and Member States is organised by the Secretariat ahead of the 73rd WHA.

JAUME VIDAL
Senior Policy Advisor, European Projects
Health Action International
Working days Monday to Thursday<%20%20>
T: +31 (0) 20 412 4523 | M: +31 6 2831 8884 |
Overtoom 60 (2) | 1054 HK Amsterdam | The Netherlands
www.haiweb.org<http://www.haiweb.org/>
EU Transparency Register: 44361352681-84