[Ip-health] WTO TRIPS Council discussions on the transparency of R&D costs and the pricing of medicines: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Feb 24 01:03:33 PST 2020

https://www.keionline.org/32272

WTO TRIPS Council discussions on the transparency of R&D costs and the
pricing of medicines: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Posted on February 22, 2020 by Thiru

In February 2020, the World Trade Organization (WTO) de-restricted the
minutes of the TRIPS Council’s October 2019 session. While the official
minutes (IP/C/M/93/Add.1) were circulated to WTO members on 9 December
2019, the October 2019 minutes were only available to the general public in
February 2020. In October 2019, South Africa requested the WTO TRIPS
Council to examine the transparency of R&D costs and pricing of medicines
and health technologies guided by these five questions:
- What are the TRIPS flexibilities adopted by Members in their Patent laws
to ensure availability of patented medicines at reasonable prices?
- What are Members experiences with escalating prices of patented medicines
and what are the policy responses implemented to address this trend through
the use of TRIPS flexibilities?
- What approaches have Members implemented regarding price regulation of
patented medicines such as a combination of cost-based pricing, value-based
pricing, reference pricing, and/or through tendering and negotiation, and
regulating mark-up levels? If any of these approaches have been used, what
are the results and challenges that Members face to ensure compliance and
disclosure of necessary information or their effect on the prices of
medicines?
- What measures have Members implemented to enhance the publicly available
information on the costs of manufacturing of medicines, vaccines and health
technologies, in particular information on grants, tax credits or any other
public sector subsidies and incentives relating to the initial regulatory
approval and annually on the subsequent development of a product or
procedure?
- Can Members share their experiences to improve the transparency of the
patent landscape of medical technologies to ensure that no barriers are
created to generic competition through sharing complete and up to date
information?

The official minutes of the October 2019 TRIPS Council meeting can be found
here <https://www.keionline.org/wp-content/uploads/M93A1.pdf>.

At the October 2019 TRIPS Council, South Africa opened up discussions on