[Ip-health] Livemint: India, China have taken 'tremendous advantage' of their developing country status: Trump

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Jan 23 01:57:24 PST 2020

<SNIP>

“We have dispute running with the WTO for quite a while because our country
has not been treated fairly. China is viewed as a developing nation, India
is viewed as a developing nation, we are not viewed as a developing nation.
As far we are concerned, we are a developing nation too. But they get
tremendous advantages by the fact that they are considered developing and
we are not. They shouldn’t be, but if they are, we are," Trump said
addressing media at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

<SNIP>

The US wants countries like China and India to give up their “developing
country" status given their rapid economic progress. The US has already
submitted a proposal at the WTO stating that as several developing
countries such as China and India have made significant strides in
development, countries that are members of G20 or Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development, as well as those classified by the World Bank
as a high income country or those with 0.5% share in world merchandise
trade should not get S&D benefits in trade negotiations.

<SNIP>

In a paper submitted to the WTO in February this year, India, China, South
Africa and Venezuela said self-declaration of developing member status had
been a long-standing practice and best serves the WTO objectives. The paper
said the persistence of the enormous development divide between the
developing and developed members of the WTO is reflected on a wide range of
indicators such as levels of economic development, GDP per capita, poverty
levels, levels of under-nourishment, production and employment in the
agriculture sector, among others.

--

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/india-china-have-taken-tremendous-advantage-of-their-developing-country-status-trump-11579707087962.html

India, China have taken 'tremendous advantage' of their developing country
status: Trump

Updated: 22 Jan 2020, 10:55 PM
Ranjan Mishra

US President says he will soon hold discussions with WTO chief about
reforming the global trade body
Trump has in the past targeted India and China over their special,
differential status under WTO

Ahead of his proposed visit to India in February, the US President Donald
Trump on Wednesday said India and China have taken “tremendous advantage"
because of their developing country status and that he would hold
discussions with World Trade Organisation (WTO) chief for reforming the
global trade body.

“We have dispute running with the WTO for quite a while because our country
has not been treated fairly. China is viewed as a developing nation, India
is viewed as a developing nation, we are not viewed as a developing nation.
As far we are concerned, we are a developing nation too. But they get
tremendous advantages by the fact that they are considered developing and
we are not. They shouldn’t be, but if they are, we are," Trump said
addressing media at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

WTO chief Roberto Azevedo by his side, Trump said he will soon hold
discussions with Azevedo to bring in dramatic changes in the trade body.
“We are talking about a whole new structure about the deal. The WTO has
been very unfair to the US for many many years. Without it, China wouldn’t
be China. China would not be where they are right now. That is the vehicle
that they used. Roberto and I have a tremendous relationship and we are
going to do something. I think it would be very dramatic. He will be coming
with a lot of his representatives to Washington sometime next week or the
week after and we will start working on it," Trump said.

Speaking from the same forum, Azevedo said if the WTO is to deliver and
perform its role in today’s global economy, it has to be updated. “It has
to be changed, it has to be reformed. This is an agenda that is squarely
before members. I don’t think anybody in Geneva misses the point. I think
they understand that they system has not been functioning properly in many
areas. That’s something that we are trying to address. This is something we
are serious about," he added.

Trump in the past also has targeted the special and differential status
enjoyed by large developing countries such as China and India under WTO
rules, asking his trade representative to take necessary action.

“For far too long, wealthy countries have abused the WTO by exempting
themselves from its rules through the use of special and differential
treatment. This unfairness disadvantages Americans who play by the rules,
undermines negotiations at the WTO, and creates an unlevel playing field,"
US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement in July last
year.

The US has since blocked appointment of judged to the appellate body, the
apex dispute settlement body in the WTO, leaving it dysfunctional.

The US wants countries like China and India to give up their “developing
country" status given their rapid economic progress. The US has already
submitted a proposal at the WTO stating that as several developing
countries such as China and India have made significant strides in
development, countries that are members of G20 or Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development, as well as those classified by the World Bank
as a high income country or those with 0.5% share in world merchandise
trade should not get S&D benefits in trade negotiations.

Trump also removed India from the list of developing country WTO Members
exempt from application of the safeguard measures on certain crystalline
silicon photovoltaic (CSPV) products and large residential washers while
withdrawing the duty free benefits to Indian exporters under the
Generalized System of Preferences.

In a paper submitted to the WTO in February this year, India, China, South
Africa and Venezuela said self-declaration of developing member status had
been a long-standing practice and best serves the WTO objectives. The paper
said the persistence of the enormous development divide between the
developing and developed members of the WTO is reflected on a wide range of
indicators such as levels of economic development, GDP per capita, poverty
levels, levels of under-nourishment, production and employment in the
agriculture sector, among others.

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative