[Ip-health] Conte, Macron, Merkel, Michel, Solberg, and von der Leyen in The Independent: As EU leaders, we want to unite the world against coronavirus and end the global crisis

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Sat May 2 23:36:41 PDT 2020

<SNIP>

We are building on the commitment by G20 leaders to develop a massive and
coordinated response to the virus. We are supporting the call to action
that the World Health Organisation and other global health bodies have made
together. For this reason, we have recently launched the Access to Covid-19
Tools (ACT) Accelerator, a global cooperation platform to accelerate and
scale-up research, development, access and equitable distribution of the
vaccine and other life-saving therapeutics and diagnostics treatments. This
laid the foundation for a real international alliance to fight Covid-19.

We are determined to work together, with all those who share our commitment
to international cooperation. We are ready to lead and support the global
response.

Our aim is simple: on 4 May we want to raise, in an online pledging
conference, an initial €7.5bn (£6.6bn) to make up the global funding
shortfall estimated by the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board (GPMB) and
others.

We will all put our own pledges on the table and we are glad to be joined
by partners from the world over. The funds that we raise will kickstart an
unprecedented global cooperation between scientists and regulators,
industry and governments, international organisations, foundations and
healthcare professionals.

We support the WHO and we are delighted to join forces with experienced
organisations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the
Wellcome Trust.

Every single euro or dollar that we raise together will be channelled
primarily through recognised global health organisations such as CEPI,
Gavi, the Vaccines Alliance, the Global Fund and Unitaid into developing
and deploying as quickly as possible, for as many as possible, the
diagnostics, treatments and vaccines that will help the world overcome the
pandemic.

If we can develop a vaccine that is produced by the world, for the whole
world, this will be a unique global public good of the 21st century.
Together with our partners, we commit to making it available, accessible
and affordable to all.

--

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-eu-response-leaders-fight-covid-19-vaccine-a9495716.html

As EU leaders, we want to unite the world against coronavirus and end the
global crisis

None of us is immune to the pandemic and none of us can beat the virus
alone. In our interconnected world, the global health system is as strong
as its weakest part, so we will need to protect each other to protect
ourselves

17 hours ago

“Chance favours the prepared mind”. This was the mantra of Louis Pasteur,
one of the world’s greatest scientists and a mastermind behind vaccines and
breakthroughs which have saved millions of lives spanning three centuries.

Just as it was back then, the world is today confronted with a virus that
sweeps across countries and continents, breaking into our homes and our
hearts. This virus has caused devastation and pain in all corners of the
world, locking us away from the touch of the people we love, the joy of the
things we usually do and the sights of the places we want to be.

This sacrifice, and the heroic efforts of medical and care staff around the
world, have helped us compact the trend in many parts of the world. While
some are cautiously emerging from lockdown, others are still in isolation
and see their daily social and economic lives severely restricted.
Consequences could be particularly dramatic in Africa and the global south
as a whole.

But what we all have in common is that none of us can really think or plan
ahead with any great certainty about what the future of the pandemic really
holds.

This means that we all have a stake in this. None of us is immune to the
pandemic and none of us can beat the virus alone. In fact, we will not
truly be safe until all of us are safe – across every village, city, region
and country across the planet. In our interconnected world, the global
health system is as strong as its weakest part. We will need to protect
each other to protect ourselves.

This poses a unique and truly global challenge. And it makes it imperative
that we give ourselves the best chance to defeat it. This means bringing
together the world’s best – and most prepared – minds to find the vaccines,
treatments and therapies we need to make our world healthy again, while
strengthening the health systems that will make them available for all,
with a particular attention to Africa.

[...]

This is our generation’s duty and we know we can make this happen.
High-quality and low-cost health technologies are not a daydream. And we
have seen how public-private partnerships have managed to make many
life-saving vaccines available to the poorest people on earth over the last
two decades.

We know this race will be long. As of today, we will sprint towards our
first goal but soon we will be ready for a marathon. The current target
will only cover the initial needs: manufacturing and delivering medicines
on a global scale will require resources well above the target.

Together, we have to ensure that resources will continue being mobilised
and that progress will be made to achieve universal access to vaccination,
treatment and testing.

This is a defining moment for the global community. By rallying around
science and solidarity today we will sow the seeds for greater unity
tomorrow. Guided by the sustainable development goals, we can redesign the
power of community, society and global collaboration, to make sure that
nobody is left behind.

This is the world against Covid-19. And together we will win.

Giuseppe Conte, prime minister of the Italian Republic
Emmanuel Macron, president of the French Republic
Angela Merkel, chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany
Charles Michel, president of the European Council
Erna Solberg, prime minister of the Kingdom of Norway
Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
thiru at keionline.org