[Ip-health] Post from Sergey Kondratyuk: Possible treatments for COVID-19 could all be made for a dollar a day, say researchers.

Paul Fehlner pfehlner at revisiontx.com
Wed May 6 19:24:34 PDT 2020

There are a lot of interesting ideas for incentivizing new medicines independently of patent rights. So far, I’m not seeing how they are scalable.

The Senate proposal for antibiotic development is a case in point. It’s an interesting proposal that would seem to provide incentives for up to three antibiotic products over a 10 year period. Since it does not guarantee any period of exclusivity, indeed requires that the recipient waive excluvities, there is little if any incentive to manufacture the product once the award is provided. The low probability of receipt of an award (three awards in 10 years), and relatively low value (the statute does not say, but it appears that there will be a total of about $1.9 billion in play, so assuming a 1/3 distribution, $600 million) will not incentivize an award winner to spend money on education (also known as marketing and sales), manufacturing, distribution, etc. With these odds and disincentives, it’s likely that profit-focused investment capital will continue to build conventional companies instead of hoping for a one-off prize, and those investors will continue to rely on conventional exclusivities — or more likely given the track record in antibiotics, choose greener pastures for investment. With the prize coming after development, where will capital for a potentially unsuccessful project come from?

This plan does not provide for a market, it assumes it. That will create potential disparities in education/marketing. Assuming two more or less equivalent antibiotics, one awarded the prize and one subject to existing commercial pressures and opportunities, it is highly likely that the concentrated marketing and sales effort for the more profitable antibiotic will result in greater market share. It is possible that healthcare providers and payers would insist on the lower cost alternative, if someone were actually making it, but how will healthcare providers and perhaps even payers learn about it? Will the prize winner seek to spend down the prize money on education/marketing & sales efforts? The same would go for manufacturing — with uncertain purchase commitments, who would invest in full manufacturing capability and operations for little or no profit? Generic manufacturers would be unlikely to fill the void because there would be little or no market for a generic entry; generics replace a product in a market, they do not make the market.

In fairness, there is reason to believe that the healthcare system would adopt an effective antibiotic and ensure manufacturing and use given the unique threat of antibiotic resistant bacteria, although the recent spate of bankruptcies of antibiotic startups is discouraging. Even if the prize sponsor establishes some mechanism for education/marketing, that effort could flounder (especially where politicians in the service of industry may be expected to undermine those efforts). And it’s difficult to see how that incentive would extend generally to new medicines and have broad impact.

To my mind, creating a sustainable competitive threat would be much more effective because it would have the potential to scale to all drugs, not just three antibiotics over 10 years. This model requires exclusivity incentives to ensure that payers have a risk of high prices if they do not come on board with a low price model. This has worked so far for Civica Rx: payers have access to high quality product at a reasonable and stable price in return for a commitment to purchase a minimum amount for a defined period of time. Various accelerants would make low priced, reasonably profitable products realistic, including repurposing and advanced manufacturing like continuous flow process manufacturing. Economic and contractual pressures would result in a stable, sustainable supply of lower cost product, diminishing the ability of conventional biopharmaceutical companies to price at whatever they can get.

None of this happens unless funders invest for that impact. The companies exist that can and want to create an alternative, responsible model for developing and commercializing medicines (Audacity Therapeutics, Fair Medicine, reVision; Just Biotherapeutics started that way but were acquired). It’s true that outsize profits aren’t absolutely necessary for innovation. Researchers and clinicians don’t require a 10x return to do their work, just fair compensation. However, until investors insist on outcomes as well as profitability (both are necessary, ideally in that order), it is unlikely that we can achieve the required pace of innovation and affordable access. And unless other stakeholders — particularly payers — are willing to put skin in the game, which means investing in potential drug failures and in ensuring commercially viable market size, we can either genericize the current pharmaceutical armamentarium with the prospect of few new drugs or see more innovation benefitting fewer patients at greater cost to society.

Paul Fehlner
President & CEO
reVision Therapeutics, Inc.
+1.201.966.7474