[Ip-health] Matthew Rimmer in SBS News: Comment: Julia Gillard, Big Pharma, patent law and public health

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Sun May 17 22:12:27 PDT 2020

Matthew Rimmer's comment in SBS News was published in 2013:
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/comment-julia-gillard-big-pharma-patent-law-and-public-health

On 14 May 2020, Wellcome announced the following:

https://wellcome.ac.uk/news/julia-gillard-appointed-next-chair-wellcome

Julia Gillard, the former Prime Minister of Australia, has been appointed
as the next Chair of Wellcome. She will will succeed Eliza
Manningham-Buller, who is stepping down from the role in April 2021.

The first woman to serve as Australia’s Deputy Prime Minister and Prime
Minister (2007-2013), Julia was central to the successful management of
Australia’s economy following the global financial crisis. She delivered
nation-changing policies, including the reform of education, emissions
trading, and the provision and sustainability of healthcare.

Julia serves as the Chair of Global Partnership for Education, a leading
organisation dedicated to expanding education access and quality worldwide,
and Beyond Blue, Australia’s leading mental health awareness body.

"It really is a dream come true to have the opportunity to chair Wellcome.
I will relish supporting and speaking up for scientific research into key
health challenges. I look forward to working with all those in the Wellcome
family, including the Board, the staff who are led by the remarkable Jeremy
Farrar, the research community and all those focused on the health of
humanity. The current Chair, Baroness Manningham-Buller, continues to
provide superb leadership to the Board, and I know that I will have big
shoes to fill."

Julia Gillard