[Ip-health] Speech by President von der Leyen at the World Health Organization's 73rd Assembly

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Wed May 20 02:47:07 PDT 2020

<SNIP>

Now is a time to act. We need to fight and defeat coronavirus in all
continents.

We need tests, medicines and a vaccine, and we need them to be affordable
for all.

Last month, you called on all nations to join forces – so that a cure and a
vaccine could not only be developed but distributed all across the world.

The European Union responded immediately.

We hosted a virtual pledging conference, raising USD 8 billion.

We put Europe's convening power at the service of the UN system and of all
humankind.

This will accelerate the development of much needed vaccines and
therapeutics.

And we will see to it that once developed, they can be deployed
universally, and be available to all.

A corona vaccine should not be a luxury for the chosen few, but a universal
common good.

--

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/SPEECH_20_916

Dear Director-General, Dr Tedros,

Dear friends of the World Health Organization,

In the last three months, we all have seen how crucial it is to join forces
for our individual and collective health.

Only two weeks after the first coronavirus outbreak, laboratories across
the world, from South Korea to Germany, were able to work on the full
sequence of the coronavirus genome.

And in a matter of days, they developed a test for the virus.

That was possible because of the share of information on a global scale.

In times of a global pandemic, international cooperation should be a
no-brainer.

[...]

Let me thank the co-sponsors and all of you for our good cooperation.

In times like these, the greatest act of courage is to play as a team.

This does not mean that, once the dust will have settled, and once we have
delivered on our pledge to beat this virus, we should not look into ways to
modernise the WHO, to see what should be done for the WHO to continue to
live up to new challenges.

Because we need multilateral approaches.

But let us for now focus on our most immediate challenge.

This is the time for cooperation.

This is the time for science and solidarity.

This is the time for all humanity to rally around a common cause.

And you can count on Europe to always play for the team.

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
thiru at keionline.org