[Ip-health] EndPoints: Covid-19 roundup: BARDA hands AstraZeneca $1B-plus to race through PhIII and ramp up fall deliveries of Oxford’s pandemic vaccine – Endpoints News

James Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu May 21 04:50:10 PDT 2020

This is the company press release.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/content/astraz/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-advances-response-to-global-covid-19-challenge-as-it-receives-first-commitments-for-oxfords-potential-new-vaccine.html

AstraZeneca today received support of more than $1bn from the US Biomedical
Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) for the development,
production and delivery of the vaccine, starting in the fall. The
development programme includes a Phase III clinical trial with 30,000
participants and a paediatric trial.

In addition, the Company is engaging with international organisations such
as the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), Gavi the
Vaccine Alliance and the World Health Organisation (WHO), for the fair
allocation and distribution of the vaccine around the world. AstraZeneca is
also in discussions with governments around the world to increase access.
Furthermore, AstraZeneca is in discussions with the Serum Institute of
India and other potential partners to increase production and distribution.

AstraZeneca recently joined forces with the UK Government to support Oxford
University’s vaccine and has progressed rapidly in its efforts to expand
access around the world. The Company will supply the UK starting in
September and is thankful for the Government’s commitment and overall work
on vaccines.

Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer, said: “This pandemic is a global
tragedy and it is a challenge for all of humanity. We need to defeat the
virus together or it will continue to inflict huge personal suffering and
leave long-lasting economic and social scars in every country around the
world. We are so proud to be collaborating with Oxford University to turn
their ground-breaking work into a medicine that can be produced on a global
scale. We would like to thank the US and UK governments for their
substantial support to accelerate the development and production of the
vaccine. We will do everything in our power to make this vaccine quickly
and widely available.”

AstraZeneca has now finalised its licence agreement with Oxford University
for the recombinant adenovirus vaccine. The licensing of the vaccine,
formerly ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and now known as AZD1222, follows the recent
global development and distribution agreement with the University’s Jenner
Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group. AstraZeneca has also agreed to
support the establishment of a joint research centre at Oxford University
for pandemic preparedness research.

. . .

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 7:47 AM James Love <james.love at keionline.org> wrote:

> Another massive US government grant.contract on vaccine development.,
> this one to AstraZeneca.  Could explain why UK was working with US to
> oppose strong open licensing language at the WHA.  (just as the Moderna
> contracts for Swiss manufacturing shed light on the Swiss position).
>
> Jamie
>

> https://endpts.com/covid-19-roundup-barda-hands-astrazeneca-1b-to-race-through-phiii-and-ramp-up-fall-deliveries-of-oxfords-pandemic-vaccine/
>
> Covid-19 roundup: BARDA hands AstraZeneca $1B-plus to race through PhIII
> and ramp up fall deliveries of Oxford’s pandemic vaccine – Endpoints News
>
> Natalie Grover
>
> Allied with researchers at Oxford University on one of the leading
> vaccines now in development for Covid-19, AstraZeneca reported that it has
> secured more than $1 billion from BARDA for the development, production and
> delivery of the vaccine, starting in the fall. The injection dwarfs the
> additional £84 million ($102 million) in funding for 30 million doses (up
> to 100 million doses) from the United Kingdom, which envisions inoculating
> at least half its population by September.

U.S. Mobile +1.202.361.3040
U.S. office phone +1.202.332.2670
http://www.keionline.org <http://www.keionline.org/donate.html>
twitter.com/jamie_love