[Ip-health] Nature editorial: Coronavirus: everyone wins when patents are pooled

Paul Fehlner pfehlner at revisiontx.com
Fri May 22 11:31:11 PDT 2020

Great editorial from nature. They make the scientific case. There is also an economic one that ought to appeal to Transparency in research and development of biopharmaceuticals magnifies investment dollars and shortens the time to return on investment, factors that one might expect to lead funders to insist on transparency as part of their funding, whether the result they seek is treating a disease or faster payback — especially if those funds come from taxpayers.

So it’s amazing after seeing the speed that transparency provided in understanding SARS-COV2 that there is any potential for competitiveness to slow velocity in therapeutics and vaccines. Technology pools with active participation offer more in aggregate than any one entity could ever hope to contribute — except on day one for the first contributor (perhaps there should be a reward for that initial contribution). No one country (like no one company) has more than a minor fraction of the knowledge, insights, empirical data, and experience related to a disease like COVID-19.

In ordinary times I would argue that transparency accelerates development for the benefit of patients, and in so doing, for the benefit of the healthcare system, offsetting perceived loss of competitive advantage (which may provide much less advantage than believed), since after all the greatest value comes from limited exclusivity to commercialize the product. In the situation with COVID-19, every day of pandemic disruption costs the world economy an amount that dwarfs the full cost to develop a drug or vaccine. Consequently, short-sighted preservation of competitive advantage results in avoidable and costly loss of life, health, and wealth. In a conventional competitive posture, the national “winner” will have sacrificed its own citizens lives, health, and fortune, a cost exceeding any potential corporate profit by orders of magnitude.

Paul Fehlner
President & CEO
reVision Therapeutics, Inc.
+1.201.966.7474