[Ip-health] Wall Street Journal (Editorial Board): Watch Out for a Vaccine Patent Heist

Paul Fehlner pfehlner at revisiontx.com
Thu Apr 1 20:57:10 PDT 2021

It’s a rare day when I can agree with a Wall Street Journal editorial, and this was one. Breaking patents will not result in technology transfer needed to ensure faster manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccines and other products. Instead it will slow access to the approved vaccines by provoking resistance and a reduction in cooperation by private sector companies.

Breaking patents without an effective alternative plan for stimulating innovation would not only fail to help the immediate COVID-19 emergency, it could chill investment in the discovery and development of innovative medicines (including repurposed ones).

It seems to me that competition provides the better solution. The countries calling for patent waivers have scientific and medical expertise that, in aggregate, is on par with the US, Europe, Japan, and China. Why not combine those capabilities to create an alternative drug development paradigm to challenge the existing one? Use a technology pool like the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Technology Access Pool to combine the capabilities of India, South Africa, and the co-sponsors of the waiver, like-minded countries, sympathetic support of research institutions, elements of developed country governments, and civil society to harness the existing intellectual property to develop COVID-19 solutions. Offering innovative medicines at much lower prices — the presumed goal of such an alternative model — would more effectively force the incumbents to be more competitive.

And as even the right wing Wall Street Journal points out, TRIPS allows for compulsory licensing in an emergency, so patented technology is there for the taking. With the resources of even a consortium of developing countries, rapid development of manufacturing capability based on published patented technology should be both possible and desirable.