[A2k] Jim Fruchterman: Why I am Scared of the SOPA bill

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Tue Dec 6 05:46:39 PST 2011

QUOTE: We frequently get emails or letters from authors, agents or
publishers who don’t know much about people with disabilities or about
Section 121 of the copyright law, calling us pirates and asking us to
cease and desist from making their books available on the Internet.
Often, these communications come in the form of what’s called a DMCA
or take-down notice. Now, we have a nice little letter thanking them,
explaining that we only help people with bona fide disabilities, that
it’s legal, that we’ve worked with the big publishing associations and
with authors groups, and wouldn’t they like to help us in the future
by adding more of their books voluntarily to our collection. Most of
the time, that works great, and we end up making a new friend after
they dig a little and find out that we are closer to Florence
Nightingale than the Dread Pirate Roberts.
END OF QUOTE

in Why I’m Scared of the SOPA bill
http://benetech.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-im-scared-of-sopa-bill.html

--