[A2k] SCCR29: Opening statement of the European Union

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Dec 8 02:37:19 PST 2014

http://keionline.org/node/2137

The World Intellectual Property Organization's 29th Standing Committee on
Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR) is meeting in Geneva from 8-12 December
2014. WIPO has a live stream <http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=wipo> of
the proceedings; the password is sccr29. The opening statement of the
European Union is contained below. The intervention of the European Union
was delivered by Oliver Hall-Allen, First Counsellor, Delegation of the
European Union to the United Nations Office, Geneva.

"EUROPEAN UNION: Thank you, Chairman. The European Union and its Member
States would like to thank you and the WIPO Secretariat for the preparation
of this 29th session of the Standing Committee. We hope that the Committee
can work constructively this week and we rely on your stewardship, the
dedication of the Secretariat and the goodwill of all WIPO Member States
for that purpose. We would also like to welcome the Deputy Director General
and the start of her mandate and wish her every success in the future.
Common name to ensure the best possible use of time and resources which
requires clarity as to the goals and expected deliverables under each
agenda item. The European Union and its Member States have been actively
involved in the discussions on the Treaty for the protection of
broadcasting organizations. We attach great importance to these discussions
and have worked tirelessly to advance work on a matter that undeniably is a
complex and technical one at times.

We believe that in order to achieve a Treaty providing broadcasting
organizations adequate and effective protection a broad Consensus needs to
be built as to the extent of the protection to be granted. We are trying to
build such Consensus, our aim needs to remain the conclusion of a Treaty
which is meaningful in view of the technological realities and of the needs
of broadcasting organizations in the 21 service century. Chairman, the
European Union and its Member States are willing to participate
constructively and concretely in discussions on limitations and exceptions.

We have to acknowledge that the absence of a new mandate from the last
General Assembly on this matter raises the question of the nature of the
discussions that the Committee shall have on exceptions and limitations on
libraries and archives. Nevertheless there should be a meaningful way
toward in this area despite defining differences as to the most appropriate
course of action and desired outcomes which have been become only too
apparent in the last meetings of in Committee. Traveling requires a
direction. Particularly when there is a collective effort and the European
Union and its Member States would like to see this Committee proceed on a
sharing understanding of what this direction should be.

We would like to see this Committee succeed through this approach. For that
we need to overcome the difficulties which resulted in the SCCR not being
in a position to make recommendations on exceptions and limitations for
libraries and archives at the last session. The European Union and its
Member States would like to reiterate their belief that work on exceptions
and limitations for libraries and archives and for educational teaching and
research institutions and persons with other disabilities can be done
within the current international copyright framework and the flexibilities
this framework offers. With no need for further normative work at
international level. Our belief is that a solid international copyright
system is also a function of the actual implementation countries undertake
of international norms and of the use they make of the space that those
norms provide. International cooperation subject to further discussion may
be of assistance on these aspects. With regards to the working methods of
SCCR we would move to fact based Chair summaries as in other meetings.
Thank you, Chairman."