[A2k] The Center for Open Science Releases a Comprehensive, Open Source Preprints Solution

Rusty Speidel rusty at cos.io
Mon Dec 5 09:33:13 PST 2016

*The Center for Open Science Releases a Comprehensive, Open Source
Preprints Solution*

05 December 2016 | Charlottesville, VA

The Center for Open Science (COS) is pleased to announce that it has
extended the capabilities of its new open source preprints service, OSF |
*Preprints* <https://osf.io/preprints> to include branded service
capabilities, and has launched three major, new branded versions. The new
services, PsyArXiv <https://osf.io/preprints/psyarxiv>, SocArXiv
<https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv>, and engrXiv
<https://osf.io/preprints/engrxiv>, are the first three branded versions of
COS’s open source preprints platform, launched today. These partnerships
will provide free, open access, open source archives for psychology,
social, and engineering science research and are in response to the growing
need for faster, open sharing of research on truly open access platforms.

The launch of the OSF |*Preprints* <https://osf.io/preprints/> branded
services continues COS’s ongoing commitment to open and transparent
research practices. The new preprints service is built on COS’s flagship
platform, the Open Science Framework <http://osf.io/>, which helps
researchers design and manage their project workflow, data storage, DOIs,
and collaboration. COS has leveraged that platform to help those
researchers discover new research as it happens and to receive quick
feedback on their own research prior to publication.

The branded preprints platform from COS provides organizations that want to
launch their own preprints service an easy, robust, and stable solution.
The platform can be configured to match their brand, editorial focus,
licensing requirements, and taxonomy. Once configured, a new service can be
up and indexing new preprints in a matter of days.

Over a million preprints have been already indexed from a variety of
sources and can be accessed by selecting a subject of interest, entering
specific search terms, or browsing the preprints most recently added to the
service. Preprint contributors are also encouraged to include links to
their research, if available. If the preprint is associated with an
existing OSF project, that project can also be easily accessed and
explored. OSF |*Preprints* uses SHARE <http://www.share-research.org/> to
aggregate search results from a variety of other preprint providers like
arXiv <http://arxiv.org/>, bioRXiv <http://biorxiv.org/>, PeerJ
<http://peerj.com/>, CogPrints <http://cogprints.org/> and others into its
archive.

“Through our collaboration with the Center for Open Science, we have gained
access to expertise from a diverse set of people,” said Devin Berg from
engrXiv. “Whether it is the team behind the Open Science Framework or
SocArXiv and PsyArXiv, all are working towards a common goal and all are
passionate about making science more open.”

Ben Brown from PsyArXiv added, “by associating with the Center for Open
Science, a name the public recognizes as a leader in open science
innovation, PsyArXiv is lent credibility and given a wider audience.
Further, because COS provides the architecture supporting branded preprint
services, we have been able to focus on meaningful innovations with far
fewer concerns about implementation feasibility.”

Philip Cohen from SocArXiv also said that "SocArXiv wants to open up social
science, to make it more engaging, more efficient, and more inclusive. The
OSF |*Preprints* service will allow us to do that by linking all of our
work in an open network across many platforms, without barriers to
discovery or access. We are thrilled to be part of it."

“The science and research communities are evolving towards improved
reliability and reproducibility of results,” said Brian Nosek, COS’s
Executive Director. “OSF |*Preprints* sets the tone for a more open
approach to data access, preregistration of research, and quick feedback on
completed work. In short, OSF |*Preprints* can help improve our science,
increase our communication, and hopefully improve the speed and quality of
our outcomes. The interest on the part of our new partners to launch their
own open preprints services only confirms this trend.”

*About the Center for Open Science*

The Center for Open Science <http://cos.io/> (COS) is a non-profit
technology company founded in 2013 with a mission to increase openness,
integrity, and reproducibility of scientific research. COS pursues this
mission by building communities around open science practices, supporting
metascience research, and developing and maintaining free, open source
software tools. The Open Science Framework <http://osf.io/> (OSF), COS’s
flagship product, is a web application that connects and supports the
research workflow, enabling scientists to increase the efficiency and
effectiveness of their research. Researchers use the OSF to collaborate,
document, archive, share, and register research projects, materials, and
data. Learn more at cos.io and osf.io, or follow us on Twitter @OSFramework
<http://twitter.com/osframework>.

*Contacts for the Center for Open Science*

*Media:* Rusty Speidel: rusty at cos.io

*Starting a Branded Preprint Service:* Matt Spitzer: matt.spitzer at cos.io

*Web:* https://cos.io

*Contacts for Branded Services*