[A2k] For an immediate end to the French state of emergency: call for a mass mobilisation!

La Quadrature du Net contact at laquadrature.net
Mon Jan 25 06:32:18 PST 2016

Themes: FRENCH STATE OF EMERGENCY, SURVEILLANCE, FUNDAMENTAL LIBERTIES, FRANÇOIS HOLLANDE, MANUEL VALLS

La Quadrature du Net – For immediate release

Permanent link: https://www.laquadrature.net/fr/node/9770

For an immediate end to the French state of emergency: call for a mass mobilisation!

Paris, 25 January 2016 — **On the 5th February, the French
National Assembly1 will consider the law on the
constitutionalisation of the state of emergency. Prime Minister
Manuel Valls has already announced that he wanted an extension
to the state of emergency "[until we can get rid of Daesh
(fr)][1]", that is to say, for months or years. Together with
numerous organisations, La Quadrature du Net calls for the
rejection of trivialisation of the state of emergency and for a
mass mobilisation against interference with civil liberties and
with the rule of law, notably by demonstrating on 30 January and
more specifically by calling MPs.**

Two months after the beginning of the state of emergency and
before its renewal or insertion into the French constitution and
resultant impact on criminal law, more and more organisations,
citizen groups, trade unions and individuals have become aware
of the [risk that this state of emergency][2] represents for our
institutions and civil liberties.

To stop the government's escalation of security measures, which
destroys the bases of our institutions day after day and
trivialises attacks on fundamental rights, it is urgent to
clearly demonstrate our refusal of this obnoxious policy.

La Quadrature du Net has made a number of [tools][3] available
to citizens who want to take action against the state of
emergency, empowering them to call MPs for free to convince them
to oppose the government and assume their role as a
counter-power controlling the executive power.

Similarly, various organisations opposed to the state emergency
call for demonstrations throughout France on 30 January in order
to publicly express our rejection of these policies.

**The website [etatdurgence.fr (FR)][4] brings together all the
relevant information required to take action.**

La Quadrature du Net calls on everyone to take part to these
initiatives and regain control over fundamental political issues
that France must face in these difficult times.

As everyone is affected, everyone has the power to show the
government that its actions are misguided and that it would be
far stronger if it questioned its choices and decided to fight
France's enemies with the weapons of law and civil liberties.

As the government seeks to stifle all debate or explanations,
any critical distance or reflection, it is up to us to show that
we care for our civil liberties and for a state committed to
justice, civil rights and its values!

**_"The permanent state of emergency must not be allowed to
become the norm in France. It violates numerous fundamental
rights and undermines the foundations of democracy. La
Quadrature du Net [has opposed][2] it since it was enacted in
November. Today, we count on French citizens to be wiser than
their government and to massively mobilise in order to openly
express, by emails or phone calls to their MPs and by going to
the multiple demonstrations on 30 January, that these excessive
security measures and headlong rush into authoritarianism are
not what we want for France"_** states Adrienne Charmet, La
Quadrature du Net's campaigns coordinator.