[A2k] Communia Campaign on Best Scenarios for Copyright

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Mon Jun 6 05:47:58 PDT 2016

New Campain by Communia:

http://www.communia-association.org/2016/06/06/bcs-copyright/

Best Case Scenarios for Copyright

June 6, 2016 — Anna MazgalShare this article:
The copyright was originally meant to promote creativity and innovation,
but instead it’s become outdated, overly complicated, and even threatening
to some users. Fortunately there are still ways to fix copyright and the EU
is in a unique position to do it. The European Commission should look into
best examples of national-level solutions and apply them within the current
reform. We present several best examples of exceptions and limitations that
should benefit citizens in their access to culture and education across
Europe.

Reform – the dealmaker or the dealbreaker for citizens?

The current copyright system fails us on so many levels that we know the
forthcoming EU copyright reform won’t fix it all. Given the pressure from
creative industries to introduce new rights in order to protect their
existing business models, the outlook is not very good. Instead of engaging
in discussions and actions that would rebalance copyright, users and public
interest organizations engage in battles against bad policy ideas.

Best Case Scenarios

It is time to tell the EU that while it plays with the elusive vision of
the Digital Single Market by inventing how to tax linking, there are some
good solutions that already work in member states. Exceptions and
limitations to copyright, so dreaded by many rights holders, do not break
the creative industry in Portugal and France or the educational systems of
Estonia and Finland. They simply work! To the benefit of creators, artists,
students and users, reinforcing creativity, freedom of expression and
providing good balance of the interests of rights holders and citizens.

EU, harmonize towards the common advantage!

At Communia we believe that the EU should look into how the freedom of
panorama benefits artists in Portugal, how parody reinforces creativity in
France, how Estonian education benefits from a wide copyright exception, or
how the right to quote works for multiple purposes in Finland enabling new
transformative uses. These best case scenarios for copyright are already
foreseen in the InfoSoc Directive – the EU just needs to make them
mandatory across Europe.

Each week of June we will present one of these exceptions: how it works,
who can benefit from it and what is the impact on the society, creativity
and freedom of expression. We urge you to tell the EU that copyright is
about your right to access culture and education, too. Use these examples
in advocacy, when you explain copyright to people, on social media.

Yes, the copyright fails us when it doesn’t work. But we also know what
works. Let’s use that knowledge to #fixcopyright.

Talk to us about Best Case Scenarios for Copyright: @communia_eu @tenobre
@a2na

--
Manon Ress, Ph.D.