[A2k] WTO Public Forum - Session on Trade and Access to Knowledge, 28 September, 1pm, Room F

Stephen Wyber Stephen.Wyber at ifla.org
Fri Sep 23 12:23:11 PDT 2016

Dear all,

For those of you in Geneva next week for the WTO Forum, I wanted to encourage you to come to the session on Trade and Access to Knowledge at 1pm on Wednesday in Room F. The subject is clearly not a foreign one to you, but hopefully the focus on exceptions and limitations in trade deals will be interesting, and we have a really excellent set of panellists.

Please see more below, and in turn, I hope to see you there.
Trade and Access to Knowledge
Exceptions and limitations have been a key part of the international copyright system since its inception, protecting and promoting the goals of education and innovation. Twice a year, at WIPO’s Standing Committee on Copyright and Related rights, IFLA and others engage with a view to updating these and ensuring their broad application.
However, while progress at WIPO is slow, legislative changes continue to happen. Trade deals in particular are signed, often reaching far into areas of competence traditionally thought of as purely national. Copyright terms are extended, rights to use works are controlled, provisions on getting around technological protection measures are introduced.
The session will offer an opportunity to hear about how limitations and exceptions to copyright are faring both in multilateral discussions at WIPO, and in the current big free trade agreements on the table. It will look further at what implications these deals (may) have, for individuals, institutions offering access to information such as libraries, and the global copyright system. It will also look at whether they may be new models emerging, with bilateral or pluri-lateral trade deals pointing the way for global progress.
Speakers include:

·       Marietje Schaake MEP, Member of the International Trade Committee, Vice-President of the Delegation for Relations with the United States, European Parliament [by video]

·       Michele Woods, Director, Copyright Law Division, WIPO

·       Maryant Fernández-Pérez, Advocacy Manager, EDRi

·       Jonathan Band, Founder, policybandwidth.com<http://policybandwidth.com>

·       James Love, Director, Knowledge Ecology International

·       Bernt Hugenholtz, Professor of Intellectual Property Law, Director, Institute for Information Law, University of Amsterdam

We look forward to discussing this with you in Geneva at 1pm on 28 September in Room F. We’ll be using the hashtag #TradeA2K, as well as #WTOPublicForum.

Many thanks,

Stephen