[A2k] Crowdfunding campaign to support Diego's appeal process

Amalia Toledo atoledo at karisma.org.co
Tue Jun 13 10:16:10 PDT 2017

Dear all,

For several years, Karisma has been supporting Diego Gómez in a criminal process against him for copyright infringement. Diego is a Colombian biologist who in his years as an undergraduate student found a master's thesis in a closed Facebook group, saw its value for his own study group and shared it by uploading it - and recognizing the author of the thesis - to a digital platform for anyone to get access to it.

Three weeks ago, Diego received great news: the first instance court acquitted him. However, as expected, the court's decision was appealed. We are now in the appeals process and will need financial support to cover the process’s legal costs. For this reason, we launched a crowdfunding campaign yesterday.

The goal is to raise US$ 40,000 in a period of 4 weeks. With this money, Karisma expects to:

Cover the legal costs of the appeals process and seek legal ways to prevent cases like Diego’s to not happen again.
Produce a case study that will tell Diego’s story and show the need for open access to knowledge.
Cover Diego’s accommodation and transportation expenses when necessary, so that he can take part in the appeal process and the case study production. He now works at a natural reserve in Costa Rica.

We believe that Diego’s persecution is a sign of the disproportionate consequences of copyright infringement in the digital age. We know that this is an important case and that is why we look forward to the collaboration of many people and organizations, either by disseminating this campaign in their networks and/or donating if possible.