[A2k] Debunking random claims of value of publishing industry

Stephen Wyber Stephen.Wyber at ifla.org
Fri Mar 2 15:43:33 PST 2018

Dear all,

This is a very broad question, but is anyone aware of a comprehensive debunking of WIPO's estimates of the 'value' of the creative industries (for example<http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/copyright/en/performance/pdf/economic_contribution_analysis_2014.pdf>)? I'm aware of the lead on copyright in the Spanish government claiming that publishing accounts for 5% of GDP, which sounds like rubbish to me. It could represent the overall WIPO estimate of the value of the cultural sector, but even this looks high.

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen Wyber
Manager, Policy and Advocacy, IFLA