[A2k] WIPO Broadcasting Treaty – Paving the way for a right for on-demand streaming services?

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Wed May 1 03:13:19 PDT 2019

On 5/1/19, Thiru Balasubramaniam <thiru at keionline.org> wrote:
> https://www.keionline.org/30551

See this exchange with Shira Perlmutter from 2014 (pasted below),
stating the connection of the xcasters treaty with retransmission
consent domestically.

I sent the following (turgid but now in present context much more
lucid) query as followup in February 2015:

http://internetdistinction.com/bricoleur/2015/02/25/on-the-broadcast-treaty-in-the-information-society-context/

"Your comments are stated in general terms regarding the CSTD/ECOSOC
WSIS+10 and Internet Governance Forum (IGF) proceedings, and they are
not responsive to the concerns I raised with Shira, which have to do
specifically with the broadcasters treaty, and international
copyright-related policymaking as it affects the Internet in general,
particularly in relation to the WSIS+10 Review and the
intergovernmental framework for the Information Society being
deliberated at the United Nations this year.

"Will we have the opportunity to engage on the topic of the
broadcasters treaty and retransmission consent, by an open and
participatory process, before the UN General Assembly’s
intergovernmental negotiations addressing the status and future of the
Information Society project in the latter half of this year?

"To my recollection, Shira’s note to me of December 10 is the first
mention I have seen of the US using retransmission consent as a
regulatory “national implementing legislation” basis for the
broadcaster’s treaty.  Has this specific notion, of applying
retransmission consent under the Communications Act to the Internet
and using that as the implementing legislation for the broadcaster’s
treaty, been subject to any kind of appropriate public disclosure and
discussion?  I believe there would have been far more concern
expressed if this had been the case, and the connection had been
explicitly understood."

Seth