[A2k] World IP Day: fix copyright for heritage

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Mon Apr 27 05:06:53 PDT 2020

To mark World Intellectual Property Day 2020, EIFL calls on the World
Intellectual Property Organization to take urgent action to help save our
cultural heritage

On the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day 2020, EIFL worked with
leading global cultural heritage organizations in drafting an open letter
calling on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) to take
urgent action to help save our cultural heritage.

The theme of World IP Day 2020 is ‘Innovate for a Green Future’. This is a
welcome goal, but we must not forget the threat to the world's cultural
heritage posed by the disastrous effects of climate change, and aggravated
by the lack of appropriate copyright legislation supporting the
institutions that preserve our common knowledge and heritage.

That is why EIFL, together with the International Federation of Library
Associations and institutions (IFLA), the International Council on Archives
(ICA), the International Council of Museums (ICOM) and the Society of
American Archivists (SAA), are calling on WIPO and its Member States to
respond to the need for international copyright laws that will empower
these cultural institutions to prevent further loss of worldwide cultural
heritage due to rising sea levels, extreme weather events, and other
disasters linked to climate change.

The letter is available in English
<https://www.eifl.net/sites/default/files/AnnualReport/world_ip_day_2020_en_2.pdf>,
French
<https://www.eifl.net/system/files/resources/202004/world_ip_day_2020_fr_0.pdf>
and Spanish
<https://www.eifl.net/sites/default/files/AnnualReport/world_ip_day_2020_es_1.pdf>.
All heritage organizations around the world and other organizations that
share our goals are invited to sign the open letter here
<https://form.jotform.com/201104533812340>.

Read more:
https://www.eifl.net/news/world-ip-day-safeguard-our-cultural-heritage#

*Teresa Hackett*