[Ip-health] Intellectual property, technology transfer and manufacture of low-cost HPV vaccines in India

Tahir Amin tahirmamin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:00:33 PDT 2010

Intellectual property, technology transfer and manufacture of low-cost HPV
vaccines in India
*
Swathi Padmanabhan, Tahir Amin, Bhaven Sampat, Robert Cook-Deegan and
Subhashini Chandrasek*haran

The study investigates the extent to which patents are a barrier to
producing HPV vaccines in low and middle income countries, focusing on
India. Our patent landscape suggests that patents on first-generation
vaccines do not seriously inhibit the development efforts of developing
country vaccine manufacturers. Regional manufacturers, national governments
and international agencies should consider this an opportunity and take the
necessary steps to make low-cost vaccine production a possibility.

http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v28/n7/full/nbt0710-671.html

--
Tahir Amin
Co-Founder and Director of Intellectual Property