[Ip-health] Paragraph 6 system: Brazilian intervention at the WTO TRIPS Council

thiru at keionline.org thiru at keionline.org
Mon Nov 1 07:26:27 PDT 2010

http://keionline.org/node/1003

On Wednesday, 27 October 2010, Brazil delivered the following
intervention during the annual review of the Paragraph 6 system at the
WTO TRIPS Council. The Brazilian intervention followed Canada's
detailed explanation of her use of the Paragraph 6 system in the
Apotex/Rwanda case. The Brazilian intervention voiced concern over the
future prospects of access to competitively priced second and third
line ARVs raising questions as to whether the Paragraph 6 system would
be economically viable for generic producers.

------------------------

Paragraph 6 system: Brazilian intervention at the WTO TRIPS Council

     a) Brazil has not yet tried to use the system either as an
importer or exporter country. In 2007, following a case of abusive
price, Brazil issued a compulsory license to an anti-retroviral
medicine, Efavirenz, that is part of the cocktail of drugs freely
distributed by the Ministry of Health to HIV/AIDS patients. For a
number of reasons, including lack of sufficient disclosure in the
patent description, it took two years for the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation,
an international reference institution in medical research, to be able
to produce the medicine in Brazil. During this time, Brazil imported
the medicine from a supplier in India.

     b) According to the detailed explanation provided by the
delegation of Canada, Apotex decided to produce the antiretroviral
Apo-TriAvir before there was a request from any country. I believe
Apotex is a private producer of generic medicines, right? To produce
the medicines, Apotex would have to issue a compulsory license with no
guarantee that it would be able to export the medicines. When Rwanda
was identified as an possible importer, Apotex still had to go through
a process of government procurement with other companies, including, I
imagine, the patent holder that has the already developed the
technology and has greater economies of scale. My question is was it
economically worth to Apotex? If so, why has it not tried to duplicate
this experience with other countries, since the process was initially
driven by Apotex?

     c) We appreciate the answer provided to Canada regarding the
economic returns to Apotex of the Rwanda experience. It was very
important to know that there where no royalties and that Apotex most
probably lost money when it had to reduce its price to 19,5 cents per
dollar to be able to compete with the Indian Generic industry. It
makes us question whether the paragraph 6 system is economically
viable and if we are to see other examples of use of the system.

     However, with the end of the transition period for implementation
of the TRIPS agreement to all countries in 2005, except LDCs,
affordable generics from suppliers such as India will become more and
more scarce.

     This is particular important to the fight against HIV/AIDS. In
2008, the report by the Swedish National Board of Trade, 'The WTO
Decision on Compulsory Licensing' already predicted that "HIV is a
highly changeable virus and patients need to switch and update their
medicines regularly. Some types of AIDS medicines were launched before
the TRIPS rules on patent protection for medicines were introduced in
developing countries, and they could therefore be freely copied and
sold in these countries. This has resulted in vigorous price
competition for many of the older medicines used as the standard
'first line' treatment, even though most of them are still patented in
high income countries. With many suppliers to choose from, there has
been no need to use the Decision for these medicines."

     The report also explains that "The situation in regards to
competition and price is different for the second or third line AIDS
medicines, i.e. medicines that patients will need when they have
developed resistance to the first line medicines. The same holds for
new, more effective substitutes for first line medicines. All of these
are patented in many countries and the prices are much higher than for
older medicines. This is becoming a grave concern for the countries
and international agencies that offer treatment. Patients need to
switch to the second line medicines within a couple of years after
starting treatment and these medicines may cost up to 12 times as much."

     Therefore, Brazil considers that the discussions we are having
today will have a fundamental impact on the access to medicines at
affordable prices in the near future. We should concentrate our
efforts in the TRIPS Council and in other fora to analyze if the
economic and political incentives provided by the paragraph 6 system
are adequate to secure investment in the production of generic
medicines at affordable prices to markets with no manufacturing
capacity. We should also analyze TRIPS plus provisions that adversely
affect the right to access to medicines, such as data exclusivity of
clinical trials. Given that economies of scale are an essential
element in what concerns incentives for investment in this area, it is
also important to design ways to improve the utility of the system to
small markets. These are only some elements we consider should be
addressed so that the system will serve the needs it was designed for.