[Ip-health] UK Government Endorses Patent Pool

Diarmaid McDonald Diarmaid at aidsconsortium.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 09:48:11 PST 2010

Dear all,

The new UK government have given their public backing to the recently
established Medicines Patent Pool.

Speaking in parliament, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for
International Development, Stephen O'Brien MP said the UK government
view the pool as a "key means of addressing the treatment challenge".

This is an important endorsement of the pool by the Conservative-Lib Dem
coalition and a important step in ensuring pharmaceutical companies
commit to the pool for all low and middle income countries.

The answer came as part of International Development Questions. Full
Transcript available here:
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2010-11-17a.870.3&s=stephen+o%
27brien#g870.6

Bill Esterson <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/?m=40522>  (Sefton
Central, Labour)

Does the Minister <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/glossary/?gl=35>  agree
that it is important that children who have already contracted HIV
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV>  should be able to access medicines
to stay alive? If so, will he join me in calling on pharmaceutical
companies to make their patents available to the patent pool, so that
there can be affordable HIV drugs for children?

Stephen O'Brien <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/?m=40237>
(Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, International Development;
Eddisbury, Conservative)

I am grateful for the hon. Gentleman's question. The Government
definitely support the UNITAID <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNITAID>
patent pool, which is, as he knows, a mechanism to facilitate the
development of new, particularly fixed-dose combination drugs, partly to
ward off the danger of monotherapies. That can be a key means of
addressing the treatment challenge. We welcome UNITAID's decision to
create a separate foundation to manage the pool's activities, and we
recognise that that is an important step. We now need the milestones to
be put in place as rapidly as possible, so that we can convert it to a
working programme going forward.

The Stop AIDS Campaign have been pushing for the creation of an
effective HIV patent pool for all developing countries for two years and
continue to press for pharmaceutical companies to make their patents
available to the pool.

Kind regards,

Diarmaid

Diarmaid McDonald

Stop AIDS Campaign Coordinator

00 44 (0) 20 7324 4785

Stop AIDS Campaign
UK Consortium on AIDS & International Development
Grayston Centre
28 Charles Square
London N1 6HT

www.stopaidscampaign.org.uk