[Ip-health] Prices of Norvir (generic name Ritonavir) in 2010

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 05:04:28 PDT 2010

Hi Brook--thanks for the reply.
Delaying the entry of the generic--I guess it depends on how long the delay is. Until the patent actually runs out but allowing more people to utilize this med, maybe it is not such a bad thing (except the US ADAPs are falling apart in part because of the genocidal pricing of ARV and other medications and no ability to negotiate drug prices).

If I ran a generic, I'd say utilize resources for drugs like tenofovir or other meds, while keeping an eye on the patent expiration date to explore the US market.  When does the patent on ritonavir run out?

Already, I think people in the US with HIV are turning to other countries to find cheaper meds. They have no choice as insurance companies screw them, ADAPs (where they exist) collapse and medicaid formularies are stretched and teeter on collapse in many states (even as repugnican governors take stimulus funds and fight the health care reform in the courts).

It is the problem when profit trumps human life and hypocrisy is the coin of the realm.
George M. Carter