[Ip-health] Save The Date: Innovate / Activate 2.0 @ UC Berkeley, April 20-21, 2012

Jason Schultz jschultz at law.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 15 00:51:59 PST 2011

Dear colleagues,

As some of you know, we've been working on a follow-up to the
Innovate/Activate Conference from last Fall. We've finally secured a
date and place, so please mark it in your calendars and forward this
announcement to any person or list where there might be interest in
attending. We'll be following up with more information soon regarding
details of the program. We hope to see you in Berkeley in April!

Best,
Jason

---

INNOVATE / ACTIVATE 2.0

Save the date! New York Law School's Institute for Information Law&  Policy and Berkeley Law's Samuelson Law, Technology,&  Public Policy Clinic are pleased to present Innovate / Activate 2.0. The event will take place April 20-21, 2012 at Sutardja Dai Hall on the campus of beautiful UC Berkeley. The conference will run from 2-6 p.m. on Friday, April 20, and from 10-4 p.m. on Saturday, April 21.

About the event: Intellectual property regimes seek to benefit society through a variety of incentives, from improving access to encouraging innovation to preserving public knowledge.  However, evidence has been building to suggest that there are substantial flaws in the design and implementation of various IP regimes, leading to failures in policy and harms to the public.  As a result, active communities have formed to address these shortcomings and the important issues they raise, such as the tension between free speech and efforts to expand copyright's scope and enforcement tools; the importance of fair use and follow-on creativity; the role of alternative licensing systems such as Creative Commons or the GNU Public License; the appropriateness of patent protection for software and business methods; and the conflict between overpatenting of pharmaceuticals and broad access to medicines and diagnostic technologies.  But there's much more that can be done.

Innovate / Activate is about sharing, discussing, and reexamining our approaches to improving global welfare through identifying new and existing IP-related activism efforts, developing strategies for overcoming IP obstacles, and delivering practical solutions to spur change.

More details to follow.  In the meantime, follow us at https://twitter.com/innact or check outwww.innovateactivate.org  to learn more about last year's event and how you can get involved.  We look forward to seeing you at Berkeley this Spring!

--
Jason M. Schultz
Assistant Clinical Professor of Law
jschultz at law.berkeley.edu