[Ip-health] Please help Nepali's with HIV!
fiar at verizon.net
Fri Sep 30 04:33:59 PDT 2011
If you can, please IMMEDIATELY sign the petition here - To sign on please go here:
We need both individual and organizational support. I have signed on (as has FIAR).
To: Prime Minister, Finance Minister and Health and Population Minister of Nepal
Hon. Dr. Baburam Bhattarai, Prime Minister of Nepal
Hon. Rajendra Mahato, Health and Population Minister
Hon. Barsha Man Pun, Finance Minister
We, the undersigned individuals and organizations, are very alarmed by news that administrative inefficiencies have put the lives of people living with HIV at risk and have prevented effective HIV prevention programs. This affects not only PLHIV but also men who have sex with men, transgender, intravenous drug users, women, children and others at risk of HIV. This is unacceptable and corrective action must be taken immediately to end ARV shortages and ensure that PLHIV in need of treatment receive it.
We therefore, in solidarity with Nepalese activists, demand that the Prime Minister and his government:
1) Work urgently at the highest levels of government with the Global Fund, the World Bank, and local implementing agencies to ensure release of funds
2) Make emergency plans to ensure that no one on treatment or in need is denied treatment
3) Immediately remove any bureaucratic roadblocks to provision of funds for HIV prevention and treatment programs
4) Ensure that all outstanding contracts required to receive funding are immediately approved
5) Initiate a review of HIV programs on a national level to ensure that the present crisis does not recur and that treatment guidelines are properly reviewed
We stand in solidarity with those in Nepal who are currently suffering and call on leaders to act immediately.
CC: Dr. Michel Kazatchkine
CC: Dr. Sudha Sharma, Secretary, Ministry of Health and Population
CC: Dr. Ramesh Kharel, Director, National Center for HIV and STD Control
More information about the Ip-health