[Ip-health] Selling Sickness 2013: People before Profits Conference

Joana Ramos jdramos3 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 08:05:10 PDT 2012

Selling Sickness 2013: People before Profits Conference
February 20-22, 2013
www.sellingisickness.com <http://www.sellingisickness.com>.

The 3rd  Selling Sickness 2013: People before Profits conference will
take place in  Washington D.C. next February 20-22, 20132. The
conference is being organized  by Healthy Skepticism members members,
Leonore Tiefer (NY) and Kim Witczak (Minneapolis) .  Healthy Skepticism
is an international organization which aims to improve health by
reducing harm from misleading health information,
http://www.healthyskepticism.org/ <http://www.healthyskepticism.org/>

Deadline to submit  proposals for  papers and posters is October 1, 2012.

Message from the organizers:

This will be the THIRD disease-mongering congress (#1, Australia, 2006,
#2, Amsterdam, 2010), and the FIRST to have full participation by
consumer health advocates as well as to have submitted papers.
We hope 1/2 the program will be invited presentations and workshops, and
1/2 will be submitted and expect an attendance of 250.

We plan to feature BOOKTIVISM workshops on starting disease-mongering
reading groups, and will provide attendees with instructions and
annotated reading lists - not a new idea to an academic, but it's caught
on with many of the consumer health activist groups we are inviting.

We will issue a FINAL STATEMENT after the conference as a collaborative
effort of academics, journalists and consumer advocates. Fiona Godlee at
the BMJ has committed to publishing the statement and I am hoping to add
PLoS and other outlets. Neither of the previous disease-mongering
conferences had any follow-through action but our inclusion of a wide
array of co-sponsors makes that more likely.

We will have a GOOD NEWS EXHIBIT HALL featuring progressive
health/pharma-reform-centered projects, organizations, and groups from
academic, journalist and consumer worlds with guided tours to highlight
the range of initiatives. We are going to push networking in every way
we can. The range of projects out there is really staggering and so
interesting. I would hope that a wide range of groups looking at health
issues in a progressive and comprehensive way could be involved on the
program, as cosponsors, and in the GNEH.

Finally, we hope to emphasize the potential for a NEW HEALTH SOCIAL
MOVEMENT and are inviting leading speakers to address this topic.

Please look at www.sellingsickness.com <http://www.sellingsickness.com>
and write directly to me (ltiefer at mindspring.com
<mailto:ltiefer at mindspring.com>) or kim (kim at woodymatters.com
<mailto:kim at woodymatters.com>) with specific suggestions for program or