[Ip-health] Safe and effective?

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Sat Sep 22 10:27:49 PDT 2012

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/sep/21/drugs-industry-scandal-ben-goldacre?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

He notes:
"Missing data poisons the well for everybody. If proper trials are never done, if trials with negative results are withheld, then we simply cannot know the true effects of the treatments we use. Evidence in medicine is not an abstract academic preoccupation. When we are fed bad data, we make the wrong decisions, inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering, and death, on people just like us."

This is why the "privatized" approach to drug discovery is mortally flawed. And that's not merely hyperbole. Quite literally.

George M. Carter